Thursday, January 6, 2011

Blog Challenge - Day 3

Your idea of the perfect first date.


Good question. I went out on only a few first dates. Ranging from Laser Tag to the Drive Inn movie. My first day with Joe was a little overwhelming. He took me to dinner at a yuppie Italian restaurant downtown. They serve expensive pizza, wine, fancy appetizers...and oh wait there were pool tables! :)  Its such a strange place. You go in feeling like you're in a really exclusive 5 start restaurant, people dressed to the 9's with their noses in the air, sipping their drinks in a dimly lit place. Then on the other end is a bar type area, well lit, with pool tables and TV's playing sporting events. ???  Weird?  Anyway, he took me there specifically for pizza and pool. We show up and there are at least 5 other people sitting with us - all guys. Turns out they are all members of his "crew" of friends. No other girls and an uncomfortable environment for me to make conversation. Its was funny; all the guys talked and talked and talked, laughed, shared stories, beat each up about their "pool" playing skills. I didn't know what to do, so I just decided to make it as comfortable as possible and pretend I was part of this "gang." I fit right in! Making jokes, teasing them, adding my 2 cents. Even beating a few of the guys at pool!!! After dinner and games we headed back to one of their houses to watch Office Space. Joe held my hand through the entire movie, then he took me to my car (we worked at the same place & left for the date right after work) and the rest was history. Come to find out months later, the first date was a "test" of sorts. This crew of guys were iron-clad tight, like family. Joe knew if I didn't get along with the guys or they didn't like me, a relationship wouldn't work out. Guess he needed to know RIGHT OFF THE BAT! Oh well, I passed so its ancient history.


I guess MY idea of the perfect date would be similar. Going to a place full of people, but not overly crowded so its hard to talk to each other. But a casual place where there isn't too much expectation or awkwardness. Even though my first date was awkward at first, I relaxed and acted like myself. I hate first impressions when you're trying to be "polite & proper" and where you would order a salad instead of messy ribs or pizza. 


I don't think a movie is a good idea either, just because everyone has different tastes in movie and, you don't get to talk or socialize. How are you supposed to know if there will be a second date if you didn't really get to talk to the person? I would just say dinner or drinks is a great first date. Opens conversation, less intimidating and can be inviting enough that you see the other persons true self. Then call it a night early so the girl can head home and day dream of all the future dates with that person.


Aw! The joys and anxiety of dating. It was always so thrilling and fun, but I'm so glad I'm not there anymore.

No comments: