Saturday, December 6, 2008

Edison

We had an emotional Saturday at the "Blackstroms." Joe and I finally decided to put Edison down. His health hadn't improved - in fact it seemed to get worse. But we finally set up an appointment, last minute, this afternoon. Unfortunately I had to work, but Joe asked his friend Geoff to tag along for support.

Oh my gosh, I can't stop crying about it. Its just so sad!! I asked Andee to snap a few pictures before Joe took him in. (She has the better camera!!) And she got some amazing photos. This one is my favorite:





She snapped quite a few and there isn't a bad picture. Even the ones, where our other dog Lucas, felt like jumping in. He was feel a little excluded apparently!

We're doing okay though, just sad feelings going around. Andee & Kelly said their goodbyes and I guess Andee was crying pretty hard...I'm glad I wasn't there, because that would have made it worse. Then Joe took Ed in at 3:00. Our vet was amazing and gave him a sedative pill before hand to relax him. Joe got to hold him the entire time. They gave him several minutes of alone time with Edison. (Joe even snapped a few pictures with his phone.) Then the vet came in and gave the final shot. Edison died right in Joe's arms.

Joe paid a little extra to get a "paw print" pressed on paper. They'll put it together for us and mail it later. But at least we have a few things left to remind us of Ed. Pictures, his blanket, that silly orange sweater I made him wear, and the paw print. Its amazing how much he affected our lives and how empty we are feeling at this moment. I'm sure we'll move on and start feeling more positive soon. I just had to get the story out. Thank you for all your well wishing and kind words. Ed was part of our family and we'll miss him forever.
We know he is at peace and running around, cough-free, all over doggie heaven.


Wow, I really can't believe how much this little guy is affecting me. How could I even go through this again? I think I might be too attached to my dogs. Their my kids though!!


Too anyone who has lost a pet - I can now sympathize. This is too hard.

Edison smiling!




9 comments:

Daniel said...

Sorry guys. Eddie was a cute lil guy. I for sure know exactly how you feel. I get so attached to my pets, they really do become a part of the family and it is so hard to say goodbye. For this reason I have decided its fish only for me. I can flush a dead fish down the toilet and no tears..in fact, sometimes I kinda like it.

Andee said...

Thank you so much for allowing me to take pictures of Edison's last day. He was quite the poser.

Kelly and I will really miss him, we even have missed the sound of his little cough.

He was such a great dog! We're here for you guys! LOVE YOU!

Becca and Billy said...

I'm so sorry Erica. What a nice keepsake to have his paw print. You're in my thoughts....take care :)

Elizabeth R said...

Oh friend.. i will miss little Edison's smiling face every Monday. He was a good little dog and he looked so cute in his orange sweater! I'm so sorry! We need to go to Chilis in his honor.. :)

KALIE said...

We were sorry to hear about Edison. Poot little guy was just having such a hard time. He's definitely in a better place now! I just can't think what poor Lucas will do now without his buddy. Hopefully Rosie will keep in company. Love you!

Amanda said...

I am so sorry guys, it's hard to lose a pet. I never knew him but from what you have said and seeing his pics, he was a great dog!! They are your best friend!! Hope you guys are doing ok!
Love ya girl and miss ya...hand in there!

Sara said...

We are so sorry! We will definitely be thinking of you guys. Brock I'm sure knows how you guys are feeling.

ciara said...

I told you How sorry I was and now reading it you made me cry. I wish you another 17 years with Lucas and the new one!!

Lori S O said...

I'm so sorry~ My kids don't understand my attachment to my pets. Bella is not just a dog- she is a big part of my life. She fills a hole that was left empty when the kids all moved away. It is so difficult to say goodbye-- I still miss Waggs. But Bella helps.

I love you guys and wish you comfort during this time of mourning.

Aunt Lori