Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Our Edison

My heart is so heavy today. Our poor Edison is still sick. Although the rest of us have gotten over the bug that was plaguing our house, Ed has not yet recovered. We are taking him in the the Vet this Friday. They advised us to bring him back if the meds weren't enough. The Vet also warned us, that with his age, he might not recover and we'll have to "put him down." So that's what we're going to do. Take him back to the Vet, to see if there are any signs of hope.

Edison has been so sick, it just makes me hurt. When he coughs, his whole body quivers and you just know he is in so much pain. He coughs, all day, everyday and its been going on for almost 3 weeks. I feel bad that we've let him go this long. But Edison is very old; almost 18 human years and he just doesn't have the strength nor the immune system to get better.

We aren't sure how Edison got Kennel Cough, but it is ultimately taking his life. He was Joe's childhood dog, so naturally, Joe is having a tough time. I've been snapping photos of Ed, so we'll have a few for memories. He may not have to be "put down" just yet but unfortunately the odds are against him. He is in pain and we don't want him to suffer anymore.

Its going to be tough this weekend. Our appt is after work Friday at 5:00, so Joe will have the weekend to recover. Wish us luck and say a prayer for our little guy. We can only hope for the best.

6 comments:

susiefarns said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Edison. It's so hard to lose a dog. I have such a connection with mine, they are like my kids.

Daniel said...

Awww Eddie

ciara said...

I'm so sorry about Edison, this made me cry just to read it. 18 years WOW I hope you get a little longer and that dang kennel cough goes away, GOOD LUCK

Rochelle said...

Thinking of you....

Elizabeth R said...

good luck today my friend.. i will be thinking of you!

Becca and Billy said...

Good luck. Our pets become such a part of the family and it is so hard when you have to let one go. I will be thinking of you as well :)