Monday, September 22, 2008

Thank you stranger!


Yesterday, Sunday the 21st, I got a flat tire driving to work! Not a blow out or anything, just a nail caught in the tire. Not my first experience with a flat, (2nd time in the last 3 months actually) and I think I handled it just fine.

I was about to enter the freeway on the on-ramp by my house, when I noticed a "flopping" sound. Before I drove up the on-ramp, I pulled over to check the tires. Sure enough, my rear-passenger tire was almost flat. I called Joe and he told me to get off at the next exit and head to a gas station to pump some air in the tire. So naturally, following my husbands advice, I jumped back in the car and headed onto the freeway.

Not even a 1/8 of mile more, the flopping got louder! Got out again and saw it was completely flat. I was still on the phone with Joe and he told me he was on his way to help me change it.

While I was pulled off the freeway, digging in my trunk for the spare/jack/lug-nut wrench, a Good Samaritan driving a Subaru, stopped to assess the situation. He was such a nice guy, helping a damsel in distress. I told him Joe was on his way, but he insisted on starting the process anyway. He got down on his back to put the jack under my car - and by the way, I just HAD to pull off the road next to the biggest, muddy puddle ever!!! - then he proceeded taking off the flat tire.

Of course it was really loud on the freeway, so we didn't talk much. I just stood by in amazement. He finished taking off the flat, before I could comprehend what he was actually doing. Then he threw the spare tire on and had it all tightened before Joe even showed up! This guy was incredible. Fast, experienced and dependable!

Joe got there just as we were shoving the flat into my trunk. He shook my hand and took off before Joe could get out of the car to greet him. I was speechless! Here was my Knight in shining armour - who rode in on his...uh...green Subaru and fixed my problem before I could blink! It was awesome!

I didn't get his name or a proper "thank you" out to him before he was driving away. I then kissed Joe good-bye, said thank you for checking on me and then I headed off to work...only 15 minutes late. (Not an hour!) I am so grateful for this guy. He got dirty, greasy and sweaty all for me. This average "Joe" took time out of his day to assist a helpless hair stylist in her nice work clothes!

Joe has always been my Prince Charming on his white stallion, who rescues me at any sign of distress. But this was a time Joe couldn't get there fast enough and I was lucky enough to have a complete stranger help me out! I will forever be grateful, for such a wonderful person. There should be more people like him in this world. He has completely changed my perspective and the type of people living in Utah. There are some good ones left! I love it!!

Way to go Mr. Green Subaru. You made a skeptical woman, optimistic about her neighbors. Thank you!

So for YOU, who would win? I know who would win for ME!!!

OR...

4 comments:

Amanda said...

You tell the best stories ever. As I was reading I could imagine your voice as you retold the experience. I am so glad someone was there to help you.

KALIE said...

Wow...what an experience. How lucky that you had someone stop! He really did sound like a hero

Ciara said...

2nd time in 3 months listen to your husband and go to the gas station first ;) Glad someone out there still stops to help a damsel in distress!

Rochelle said...

Glad to know there are still non-creepy people that will stop to help a lady out!