Monday, September 21, 2009

Never too old for school?

Joe starts school today. Its about a month into the semester already; there was some paper work and tuition adjustments that set us back. But now he is jumping in...and jumping in deep.

He is taking some classes related to his working field. He will be getting quite a few different certifications for electrical work. He's already doing most of what he'll be learning, but to 'actually' get those certificates will help out a lot. Not only with increasing his pay, but also for his future. He'll be able to work in any field involving electrical work, not just with elevators. Which is a huge range and will definitely help us out, if we were to ever relocate.

The class he is taking is self paced, which is nice...sort of. When he signed up, he was going to go Monday & Wednesday from 5:30p-9:30p. But last week, when he got everything sorted out, he's decided to sign up for the class on Mon, Tues, Wed AND Thurs from 5:30p-9:30p!!! HELLO?!?!? That's a lot of school to just jump into! He already works 8-5ish and now will have to go straight to school and won't be home until late. And he'll be doing this 4 nights a week!!!!!!!

Of course I'm excited for him. (He's totally pysched by the way) But I can't help but feel a little bummed. We are both workaholics and don't get to see each other much as it is. Now we'll only have weekends to be together and I WORK WEEKENDS!?!?!?!? How's that going to work??

I guess I figured, since we are both nearing our 30's, we'd never have to worry about anymore schooling. I had so many friends that were crazy busy with work, school, marriage AND kids, but they were in their early 20's. Maybe I just assumed since I have my career and Joe's got his, our lives would start to slow down...and maybe think of starting a family. (HEY! I said "maybe.") But now life isn't slowing down, its only going to get more complicated. Chaotic. Overwhelming. EXHAUSTING!

Maybe I just needed to vent. Joe and I value the time we get to spend together. And most of you know, we don't get much quality time. We always have something. I'm either working late or long hours, Joe's working late or we have something planned with family and friends.

What do I expect? Other than our simple life at home, my life is my work. Managing a salon is hard work and I'm always overwhelming myself. Now Joe will be doing the same. Its only natural to want to succeed in your own line of work and be the best you can be. This is Joe's way. And I know it will REALLY help his career. His boss will appreciate him more and learning more is never a bad thing. I guess I'll just have to cope and support his decision.

There is an advantage to going to school so many hours a week, believe it or not. He'll get done faster. Of course we don't know how much faster. Joe is currently working as an 'electrician', so we're hoping some of his working hours will work as credit towards school. We won't know until he gets to talk with his professor about it. It could be anywhere from 6 months to over a year!!

I'm sure some of you reading this are probably just rolling your eyes. School is a normal part of life. So is work. Most people have experienced 12+ hours a day of work and school. I did it while going to beauty school. I had 65 hour weeks with school & full time work for 2 years. But that feels like ages ago!!

Really why am I complaining? Sure it'll be tough now, but it will be very rewarding in the future....right???

Thanks for reading...and thanks for letting me vent. We'll take it one day at a time. I'll keep a smile on my face and I'll look to Andee, Kalie and my family to keep me entertained.

4 comments:

KALIE said...

Of course we'll keep you entertained...or you can come clean my house one night a week. Whatever. I think Joe going back to school is SO awesome. It's never to late to LEARN! He's really something Erica.

susiefarns said...

I upset that you say that we're close to 30. You're only 6 months older than me and Joe is younger than that. What the heck!? I'm not even 27 yet, don't rush me.

Erica said...

Haha Susie, I said we're getting close to 30. I'm only 2 1/2 years away and Joe is 3 1/2. I just said that because I feel like most people dedicating their lives to school, are much younger than us.

Andee said...

I know it may be a bummer to not see your husband as much, I mean COME ONE!! How can a marriage work when you see each other all the time?! LOL!

Please feel free to have dinner with Kelly and I as much as you like!! It's always a treat to have you upstairs at our table! LOVE YOU!