Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Furniture upgrade

With our kitchen "under construction," we're starting to realize each part of our home that also needs work. Joe upgraded his TV in late January and we 'manipulated' our current entertainment center to accommodate the bigger TV. However, I noticed how much larger everything looked once we brought in the larger TV. It was just so overwhelming. The room looked smaller, we had less a room in the sitting area. Joe said it had a "Gong" factor every time you sat down to watch TV. Well, "gong" factor or no, I hated it. Here is a picture of what the larger TV looked like with our manipulated entertainment center:


This entertainment center is actually part of a "corner" set. Meaning, its actually supposed to bend and meet in the middle. There was a bridge piece that went over the center section and connected both bookcases. Obviously we had to lay the sectional flat against the wall to accommodate the TV. Its just BULKY, CLUNKY and DISORGANIZED!! 

We spent tonight finally switching everything over. Here is a picture of what the wall looked like after removing the LARGE entertainment center and everything else:


This is an excellent picture of the room layout. Look the left of the wall; thats where the stairs enter the downstairs to the hallway that leads to either the "kitchen/laundry" or this family room. NOW on the right of the wall, this shows our new entrance to the kitchen going under the stairs. That used to be just a storage closet. This wall is the main center of our family room - not my favorite wall, especially with the ducting pop-outs that are uneven & not centered with the wall. (But that's my OCD talking and it IS something that we can fix when we decide to remodel this room.)

After briefly looking online for a more organized unit, I went to IKEA, not only to find just a TV stand/unit, but to find DVD shelving. The one GOOD thing about the above entertainment center, is the storage space!! Storage underneath all 3 major pieces, plus ample DVD stacking in the glass area of both bookcases. I was definitely in need of a 'less intimidating' DVD rack. (I was extremely picky in this area.) IKEA has great, cheap & organized ideas - we all know that, right? The shelves we picked out weren't 100% like the picture I had in my head, but they were the closest. Here is a picture of our new unit put together:


Much better, right? Plus it doesn't come off the wall very far, so it makes our room seem SO MUCH BIGGER! Plus, its all organized, same color of wood on each piece and [I think] more sleek looking. I know it isn't centered with the wall or the ducting units, but where our couches sit, its centered. We're going to play around with it more, once the house isn't so chaotic. Now that I've lost a lot of storage space with the smaller unit, I have to find a place for all the crap I had hidden away in there. Plus my house is still cluttered from the kitchen project... Still so much to organize...

What do you think?

2 comments:

Andee said...

Holy Crap! You have a 4th wall in your living room? Could've fooled me! It looks great!! More open, organized and outstanding! :)

Ciara said...

First that TV is HUGE!!! But with the new entertainment center does look managable and like you have so much more space. Plus I love the kitchen can't wait to see how it turns out.