Monday, August 24, 2009

Optimistic or bust

This is an "I'm on my soap box" blog. So if you don't want to read about me whining, then click away now.

I changed the hair - so it looked more like me...don't have the skills to change the outfit...but you get the idea!

I'm breathing today. One breath at a time. Its been an incredibly chaotic 5 days. Luckily the worst is out of the way and I'm forcing myself to stay positive.

As manager of my salon, I have to deal with hiring and firing....yuck. Hiring is a piece of cake. I enjoy that part of it, but having to let someone go, it torture. I'm sure you know where this is going, yes I had to let someone go last week. Well, I didn't personally, but my manager's manager drove in from out of state to deal with the situation in person. I'm grateful for that because I was about to throw up just thinking of what I would have to say.

I can't give many details, especially because I'd get fired. But I can stress my frustration of my staffing problems. For real, what is up? Since I've started there as manager (January 09) 7 people have come and gone!!! 7 people!!! Five of which left voluntarily pursuing other areas of their career, one left due to a mutual agreement and now one was let go! Its so aggravating to lose people and to be considered a salon with high turnover. I hate that phrase "high turnover." I've worked for the company 3+ years!!! Why does no one else have my same work ethic or stability?

Most of my customers are probably wondering what is wrong with me. They don't hear that my stylists left on their own. All they see is me, constantly under staffed and frustrated. Now I'm down to just 1 stylist. Just me and Megan. And since there is only 2 of us, my manager has asked me to cut the salon's hours! Oh my gosh I'm going to die. CUT THE HOURS?!?! I wanna make money, hello?? But I also don't want to work 72+ hours a week. There is nothing I can do at this point. I have hired someone that is starting on the 1st of September and I have one amazing stylist that, so far, is sticking with me through this whole mess.

I just get so frustrated with managing. Its not in me to be a leader. I'm a hardcore follower. Anyone read 'One Minute Manager?' Its brilliant!! Why can't I turn my life around or adapt different skills?

One of these days I'll figure it out. I'll get through this storm. Luckily I have amazing, positive people surrounding me. They pull me back to normal life and bring the cheerful side of me out again. I only have 1 choice in this matter. I'm not willing to give up; I'm not willing to back down; I can't make people stay in my salon. I can only be optimistic about the future. Positive thinking when I hire someone new. This could be another stylist with my same ambition. This could be a candidate to replace me one day.

I love doing hair. I love my salon. I love making clients happy and boosting their self esteem. I know I'm in the right business. So what can I do now to keep my salon successful and STAFFED!?!?! Any advice would be appreciated. I always feel like I go above and beyond for my girls. But I'm sure I need improvement somewhere.

My apology's go out to anyone I'm going to inconvenience over the next few weeks. My hours at the salon will be unpredictable and I'm going to miss out on certain important events. I've had to move around so many plans because my work schedule keeps changing. Your patience and understanding is VERY much appreciated. Handling my salon with just 2 of us there is a lot of work and so stressful/overwhelming. Err...

And to all of you who keep a smile on my face...thank you. A true smile is really a sigh of relief in my book. One breath at a time.

4 comments:

Ciara said...

That all just sucks, hopefully you can get back to some regular hours and then fit in a breakfast or two. Can't wait!

bret and family said...

I have to fire people on a regular basis, it doesn't get easier. I can't go to the store or to a baseball game without running in to someone I fired. I try to go out in a hat and sun glasses.

Joylybean said...

I know this was you complaining but even now, you are so optimistic. Things will get better. Hopefully you can hire some good stylists soon. Shortened hours? You can't get rid of me that easy :)

Tiffany Christensen said...

Sounds like you need to come to enterprise----------